Monday, 15 June 2015

Pregnant!

I haven't been here in three months!

Apart from keeping busy to pass the days quickly (after finding out that I had to wait two more months to do a FET instead of a fresh transfer, I was a little disappointed and a little down),  I was literally up to my neck with work and clearing up some personal projects.

But I have good news! I am now 6 weeks pregnant! It still feels surreal ....

Let me do a quick recap:

Feb 28: Egg pick-up day. It all went smoothly, despite the fact that I only dozed off after the procedure, and not during. Collected 23 eggs!

The embryologist called a few days later to say that they have successfully fertilised 6 eggs via natural IVF and 9 via ICSI. The end result though, was just 6 day-3 frozen eggs.

April 25: Back to the doctor's, all excited to start on the Frozen cycle. My period was late again that month so I was prescribed some pills to hasten the chase.

May 6: Routine check during Day-3 of period and to start on new pills to thicken the lining. Was asked to see Dr Eeson, a new partner at Sunfert. Dr Wong said it was a non-crucial check-up and that he wanted to cut down on waiting time. A good move! It felt a bit awkward since we had a failed IUI last year with Dr E, but he didn't seem to have recognised us at all :)

May 16: The day of reckoning! Today would tell us if I responded well to the treatment and if my uterine lining is thick enough to house the embryos. Test passed! Counting down the days!

May 20th: FET day! Was told to empty my bladder at 11am and start drinking 250ml of water. Did just that and was ushered into the ward at about 12pm. Had to take off everything and don an open-back hospital gown. Didnt have my glasses or phone so had no idea how time passed. The need to pee was halfway there. Perhaps there were some delays in the other surgeries -- I was only wheeled in at about 1pm. By then, my bladder was one big tight ball ready to burst. The nurse said hold it in, so I did. The procedure was quick! It felt almost like I was watching the first man landing on the moon. These words were repeated throughout: going through, going through. And I could see a white line moving through some tube; it wasn't very clear because I was as blind as a bat without my glasses. Then I sorta glimpsed two small discs being deposited onto a surface and doc said: completed. Easy peasy! The hardest part was yet to come...I had to hold my pee for another hour, as it was recommended to lie down right after the procedure. I cannot begin to tell you how difficult that was! As I had no idea how long an hour was, I had to resort to counting in the hundreds to take my mind off that gnawing discomfort down below. Thankfully, the nurses were very professional and came to the rescue just in time! I rushed to the loo and had a good long 10 minute pee. The nurse had to knock to see if I was doing ok because I was taking so long!

Oh yes, we were given the lowdown on our two best embryos before the procedure. Both were thawed the night before and survived (yippee). One retained all nine of its cells, while the other lost one cell in the battle of the frost, going from 8 cells to 7 cells (could be a boy? Haha) Doc said they were still quite good!

June 2: And so the 2ww happened and it was time for beta test day! I'll def write more about my two week wait in the next post as it was one of the funnest and most relaxing time I've ever shared with the hubs. But now, back to the test! My blood was taken at 8am. We were told to come back in an hour to see the doc. We came back and waited....each time the nurse called a name our hearts skipped a beat. 11 something it was when we got called in. Hubs lagged behind because he had to lug all my bags with him. When I entered, doc looked super serious and told me to sit down. A slightly sickening feeling welled up in my tummy. Hubby came in and sat down. Doc continued fiddling with his comp. Then turned to say: well, today we have good news! Ahhh.....a grin quickly spread on my hubby's face, which is quite a rare sight! Doc then pushed a piece of paper in front of us. 839.1 for hcg! That's super high! And here I was praying for at least 200. Doc said: we don't know how many is in there but it looks like twins! I think we were both in shock because we left the room without giving the doc a hug, which was what I always thought I'd do when the day finally came....we were both grinning like mad when we left the room, hopefully not to the chagrin of the many couples who looked very serious there that day.

And whew! It took me forever to write this recap. More good news next!





No comments:

Post a Comment